A beautiful new Welcome to Hopkinton sign, wishing a warm welcome to all who visit and live in Hopkinton, has been placed on West Main Street opposite the Golden Pond assisted living facility in a collaborative effort led by Hopkinton Garden Club, just as the organization did with the original sign in 1996. The original wooden sign rotted at the supports and fell last December. A race against time, with the goal of putting the new sign in place in time for the Boston Marathon, was completed.
Donors to the project included members of the Hopkinton Garden Club and supporters of the club’s plant and green sales, the Hopkinton Women’s Club, Tim Kilduff and the 26.2 Foundation, Scott Richardson of Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects and former Hopkinton resident and life member of the Hopkinton Garden Club Diane Bullock.
“We also thank Sign Right of Marlborough for constructing the sign so quickly, Peter Mezitt of Weston Nurseries for two beautiful mountain laurel shrubs and Scott Dryden of Scott’s Landscaping for the time and materials needed to replace the soil in the area of planting,” added Ann Hussey Hogaboom, president of the Hopkinton Garden Club. “Thanks also to Hopkinton Garden Club member Kris MacPherson who coordinated the effort perfectly to ensure the sign was ready in time for the marathon.”
The site, one of Hopkinton’s many sites and planters, is cared for by the Hopkinton Garden Club, whose members share their time and talent in planting and caring for seasonal plantings as part of their beautification efforts, with the generous sponsors of the site.
The Hopkinton Garden Club (hopkintongardenclub.org) is a non-profit organization whose mission in the local community is education, beautification and conservation. The club was organized in 1924 and is affiliated with the Garden Club Federation of Massachusetts.